Monday, December 10, 2012

A Gentle and Quiet Spirit


Confession: If I could look like anyone on the planet and have her wardrobe too, it would be Jennifer Aniston. I know I'll never get there, but I occasionally like to daydream what it would be like to have her hairstyle (I've tried numerous times!) or to have the TOTALLY AWESOME boots in the picture below (which I discovered after ridiculously too much research, are vintage women's engineer boots that she has had since the 90's and are no longer sold):

 
It's hard enough to look pretty on the outside, and I probably obsess as much as anyone about how to cover up my external flaws or try to look "cool", but what if people could see me without my INTERNAL makeup - the things I do to camoflauge my ugly qualities or the thoughts I never want someone else to know about?



As a mom, the verse at the beginning of this post has been coming to mind a lot lately...usually when I am running low on patience or involved in a struggle of wills with my almost 3 year old. I fail so often as a mom, and I know it happens when I lose sight of the Source of peace in my heart.

I am excited that God has been showing me how silly it is to try to look pretty on the outside when He is working on stuff that is so much more important on the INSIDE.


God gave me the most incredible husband - the EXACT person I needed - who hates fakeness in all forms and calls me out on my silly vanity. He really DOES think I look better without makeup. What?!? He says "I like who I married, so don't try to be anyone else!" I'm thankful for him. (Even though I think it's okay to like to dress up SOMETIMES for the fun of it!)

I am holding myself accountable to tell all three of my readers (ha) that this next year is going to be about INSIDE makeup for me...developing a gentle and quiet spirit. You are all allowed to call me out if you see me acting otherwise. My prayer is that my sweet boys will see that desire in my heart (even when I fail) and will be attracted to REAL beauty (INNER beauty) not externals...and that they will let Jesus make them beautiful on the inside too.

Moms, how do you discipline your children with a gentle and quiet spirit? I'd love to hear any advice/tips/resources/things you've learned about if you have any.

2 comments:

The Gaymons said...

Thanks for sharing, Kim. There have been too many times that I have gotten caught up in putting more energy into external beauty. I feel like that is one of my many sins that motherhood has brought to my attention. (Nothing like being pregnant, low on energy, and keeping up with kiddos to make you feel a little less than outwardly beautiful!) But, I have decided to try and put my best foot forward while spending more time in the word and praying about my attitude. Let's keep eachother accountable!

Kimberly said...

Ashley, it's nice to know we are in this together :) You are beautiful inside and out. I think you are right about reading the Word and praying...those are LIFE CHANGING and I needed that reminder. God can change my attitude just by something in the Scripture or by gently pricking my heart to make me aware of something while praying. Isn't that amazing??...the Creator of the Universe can reach our hearts! And he helps us to more beautifully reflect Him. That is what I really want to do anyway. I will pray for you AND others to see the inside beauty of Christ in you as you get ready for this exciting new Valentine on the way! :)