Thursday, August 21, 2014

Hey, Boys Are Sweet Too!!!

I went to Target today with all three boys (ages 4, 2 and 3 months) to pick up a few things. My older ones were actually being relatively quiet at the time that this woman walked by (at least it wasn't while Gavin was pushing Aiden's foot into Aiden's face, which also happened). The woman saw the baby (Judah) sleeping safely in his carseat at the end of the shopping cart, and said "So sweet." I said, "Thank you." She said, 'They grow up, though!" I said, "Yes, it happens fast." Then she said, "Is that one a boy, too?"

I get asked this pretty much daily.

I answered, "Yes, I guess boys is all we do."

She said, "I'd quit then."

I laughed (why do I do that nervous polite laughter!), but I kind of feel hurt every time people make comments like that. I thought we had just been talking about how fast they grow up. I guess she just meant that they are no longer sweet after they grow up, and it's definitely not sweet to have too many kids or *GASP* too many boys.

Pretty much daily if we go anywhere I hear things like this. I hear "You've got your hands full, don't you?!" "Whew, you're really outnumbered!" "Are you going to try again for a girl?" "Don't you know what causes that?" "God Bless You!" (in a tone that does not sound very blessing).

I will admit we were somewhat enamored with the idea of a girl when we found out that number 3 was on the way. But we would not have tried to have another child if we weren't okay with either gender. And honestly I was a little wistful for a few minutes when we found out he was a boy...I guess because little girl stuff is so foreign around our house and I like little girl baby clothes better. But when we found out, and chose his name, I didn't wish for him to be a girl. I looked forward to meeting him!

Most days I am glad that my house is full of trucks and cars and blocks and dinosaurs and superhero capes and swords and ninja paraphernalia. Yes, I go crazy about the fighting sometimes and wish I could sit quietly and play Barbies or My Little Pony.

But don't tell me that boys are not sweet. My boys get their sweetness mostly from their father, who is still sweet as an adult (even sweeter now than he was as a child, if the stories I hear are true!)

 Gavin with his Daddy
 Daddy with Aiden

Judah and his Dad (noticing a grey t-shirt theme, anyone?)
SWEET, SWEET Brothers!

Gavin tells me I'm beautiful almost every day. He says things like "It's a nice day to have a mama." And he shows me how to be excited about life, waking up every morning saying "What are we doing today, Mama?" He is graceful and agile (usually while bouncing from one couch, chair, fort or brother to another) and he is such a cheerful and loving person. He kisses Judah probably as much or more than anyone, and he nearly explodes with happy energy when he is playing with friends.

Aiden inherited the ability to give soul-affirming bear hugs from Mark and from my dad. He is seriously one of the best cuddlers I know. His smile spreads joy through the world like a ray of sunshine. He is already funny at just two years old and he loves music, and his dancing to the PBS Happy Birthday theme song cracks me up every time. He asks to "pray me" (pray for me) at night and he prays for his family and his friends and their toys (especially the toys he really likes).

Judah is my peaceful, gentle baby. He makes the best baby noises I have ever heard, and when you talk to him his whole entire face smiles. It pretty much melts my heart every time. He loves to be held, loves to be talked to, and thankfully loves to sleep!

Yes, my hands are full. And there are days I wish I could do more girly stuff. But why would I be anything but thankful to have three amazing, beautiful, SWEET boys who I pray will grow up to be strong, loving and SWEET gentlemen?!?

And when I see a mom or dad with three boys, or four girls, or one or five or twenty kids, I will just say "So sweet." And no opinions after that.

Ugh. Rant over. I know people mean well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So well said! I love, no adore, my five nephews; four of whom are in the same household. And I am looking forward to meeting my niece in the fall. Children are a gift from the Lord. Praising God for your sweet boys, big and small. Whenever I see your posts I think back and I really treasure the brief time in which I got to know you. You are a special lady! ~ Carie Beam

Ally said...

Oh my, I think people just don't think at all before they open their mouths. I've gotten a lot of "your hands are full," and on good days, I respond with "so is my heart" or something similar.

As for little boys, I've often heard they're the sweetest...and so far our experience is that our son is just the sweetest. It's just precious, and it makes me so thankful to have a little boy. I had often thought I would enjoy the quieter play of a little girl (like my 3 nieces were when they were small), but now that I have a girl she is the loud, active, never-sits-still child! We often refer to her as a bull in a china shop, live wire, or the like. You just never know what you'll get with children and that's part of the fun and blessing of all of this. So glad you've been blessed with 3 precious boys. Fun to read a blog post from you Kimberly!

Kimberly said...

Carie, your neice and nephews are so blessed to have you!!! I have such good memories of what a fun and inviting and welcoming person you are. I hope you are doing wonderful. God bless you and your family.

Kimberly said...

Carie, your neice and nephews are so blessed to have you!!! I have such good memories of what a fun and inviting and welcoming person you are. I hope you are doing wonderful. God bless you and your family.